At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Core Services Engineering team is looking for a Junior Developer with C skills to join us in Brno, Czech Republic. In this role, you will work with a team of developers focusing on the development of operating system components in Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). You'll use your skills, mainly in the C, C++, or Bash, to contribute to the upcoming releases of the Linux distribution by taking free open source code from upstream projects and integrating it into the operating system using RPM technology. While actively contributing to the upstream projects, you will communicate with experienced hackers from all over the world. Results of your work will be used worldwide. This role is a great opportunity to learn a wide range of technologies and operating system principles and thanks to the variety of tasks, it will be up to you what to work on each day. As a Junior Developer, you will work with modern technologies like Linux containers, Red Hat OpenStack Platform, Red Hat OpenShift, or Kubernetes alongside some of the brightest developers in the open source community.
Primary job responsibilities
- Develop and troubleshoot assigned components in supported offerings
- Collaborate with upstream community members of the assigned projects, other development teams in Red Hat, the documentation team, and a quality assurance (QA) team
- Identify system deficiencies, conduct technical research and analysis, and recommend solutions or fixes
- Improve test coverage for assigned components for use in continuous integration (CI)
- Development experience in C
- Debugging experience for application problems
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English
- Desire to learn and solve various challenging problems
The following are considered a plus:
- C++, Bash, Python, or Ruby knowledge
- Solid understanding of operating system principles
- Experience with Linux-based operating system administration
- Experience with the open source development model
- Specific debugging experience with GNU Debugger (GDB)
- Experience with Git or other source control systems
- Knowledge of RPM package structure
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.